Skip to main content

Big projects, small spaces

 I've been plugging away at my sewing projects while catching up on everything that I dropped while completing my MBA capstone.  Crazy thing but carpets still get dirty even when you're writing papers, who knew?  And my job still has stuff for me to do.  Still don't have my final grades but at least all of the work is done.

I actually get to leave the house this weekend so I'm having a big push to finish an outfit for the occasion.  Because we now live in a world where leaving the house is an occasion.  I will be wildly overdressed as usual and I'm looking forward to it.  My wool pencil skirt came out super cute.  Even the husband likes the way this pattern looks.

Still need to hem it but otherwise it's done.  Had to take in the waist and hips by about an inch which is lovely news so far as I'm concerned.  The shaped waistband is flattering on me.  I'll hem it just below the knee which is exciting since I never have skirts that are the right length.  The lining came out so tiny that I must have cut the wrong size so it's not lined.  I've got a lot of slips, it'll be fine.  I didn't want to go through all of the work to debug the lining and cut a new one when I'm trying to be done for this weekend.  Skirt is going with a Hepburn top in black I already made, very classic.

The real stretch for the weekend?  I want a coat.  It's going to be in the 40's so I could get away with a wool blend coat.  And I have like 10 yards of this wool blend fabric.  This would look so cute with a matching long swing coat over top!  And then I started laying out the pattern pieces.

It barely fits on my cutting table and my cutting table barely fits in my sewing room when I have it opened up.  I've made some big projects but this still stands out for being a big one.  Everyone says this pattern is straightforward and easy to put together but yikes, that's a lot of bulk.  I'm taking some length off due to being tres petite but it's still big pieces.  Fabric cutting starts today with the hope I can knock it out in a couple days and have it to go over my outfit.  I might be setting myself up for a fall here but I'm going to give it a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow day sew day

 We were supposed to get rain and melt over the weekend.  We didn't, we got more snow with a splash of freezing rain.  Plans to go to the grocery store were replaced by a day spent in my office. I've been putting off some of the more tailored projects on my wish list since I find them intimidating.  I decided to bite the bullet and go for it with my first pencil skirt.  Completely non-stretchy so not the most forgiving project.  I've been practicing on easier projects with the hope that having the basics will give me a fighting chance.  I traced my pattern on tissue paper so the original was safe and then adjusted it to take 2 inches off the length.  Other than that I left it alone.  My dimensions for skirts are pretty normal, just short. And asymmetrical but it's small enough that most people don't notice one hip being higher than the other.  It's nowhere near the chaos of me doing a top with a size 6 shoulder, a size 12 DD bust, and a size 10ish waist.  And a

New blog, who 'dis?

 Why a vintage style blog?  Because if I'm going to spend this many hours trying to get my hair to do anything approaching 1950's waves, I'm going to write about it.   I started doing vintage style when a friend threw a party with a 1950s theme.  I didn't really know anything about the 1950s so I hit Google.  I didn't want to wear a costume with a cheap, satin skirt with a poodle on it.  As soon as I did a search for 1950s women's fashion, I saw this: The New Look.  Odd hat aside, that is one heck of a silhouette and a level of glamor that I'd never aspired to in my life.  I've always been a jeans and tee shirts kind of girl.  That picture, though, that convinced me that I wanted to wear a skirt.  A poofy skirt.  And no, I didn't look a thing like that for the party and I didn't even get a picture of myself but I was wearing a Pin Up Girl Couture dress, a petticoat, What Katie Did corslette, stockings, heels, and my hair was curled.  It was somet

Meet my hair

 When people say 'hair like silk', it's generally meant as a compliment.  As someone with hair like silk, it's a pain in the ass.  It slips through combs and bobby pins almost instantly.  It resists any change to it's shape such as, oh say, curling.  When you do get it to curl, it rebels and turns to frizz and poodle hair before snapping back to straight.  I've been working on convincing my hair to look glamorous and wavy for years.  No exaggeration, years. Keeping it  glamorous I went through all the iterations:  hot rollers, wet sets, curling iron, every product known to humankind that might help my hair hold a wave.  Some did nothing, some did too much, some left my hair a fried mess.  I followed tons of YouTube videos that all had the same general idea:  wet set for stubborn hair, brush out vigorously, magically have amazing vintage hair.  I tried that and had a lot of different disasters.  By trial and error, I found what works for my hair. 1.  Wet Set - R