Skip to main content

Grand debut

 I made it!  I got my outfit done just in the nick of time.  I finished hemming and pressing at 1pm and needed to leave the house at 6pm.  That was a pretty close call but worth it.  My coat came out much nicer than I could have hoped.

This is the Swing Coat from Gertie's patreon.  I cut a size 10 and the only modification was skipping the cuffs.  I just hate cuffs, they snag on everything.  The joy of sewing my own clothes is that I could just skip the cuffs.  I finished it off with a hand sewn hem instead.

I did screw it up pretty badly at the start.  I got the front facings reversed which made the coat curl open in front.  I was so confused and mad, thinking it was the lining somehow causing my problem.  A search on Facebook revealed others that made the same mistake.  By that point I had the facing in, understitched, and the lining attached.  I spent 3.5 hours ripping the facings back out so I could swap them.  I was on Zoom calls for work with a seam ripper, removing all of my hard work.  Very frustrating but once I had the facing on the right way, the coat draped beautifully.

The lining gave me fits.  I spent about an hour under my dress form tuning up the way the lining fit.  Enough ease to be comfortable but not enough to look baggy.  Still not 100% with it but at some point I had to stop pinning and start sewing so I could wear it out!  Coat hem was done by hand to get that gorgeous, invisible finish.  And then I realized that the skirt needed to be hemmed by hand so that it matched.  Ugh.  That did not help me get done on time.

Combined with my Hepburn top in black and the matching Stanwyck skirt, I had a very fancy suit.  I didn't get a lot of sleep the night before since I was basically resewing the entire front of the coat so that meant I didn't set my hair.  I had to do a hot set so my hair could match the outfit.  Not my favorite way to set my hair, especially as it takes so much work.  But these are the sacrifices we make for glamour.

I spent several hours with my hair up in those alligator clips to make sure my curls stayed.  I let them down about five minutes before we walked out the door.  Between the hours spent sewing and then doing the hair and makeup and getting into my gods forsaken stockings that did not want to hook up on the left rear clip, my look probably took 25 hours of work.  But worth it!


I never would have found this in my size on the rack.  I loved wearing it out and it was surprisingly comfortable.  Minus me finding a missed pin when I sat down the first time (OUCH).  Since it's separates I expect I'll have different parts of this outfit showing up a lot.  I'll need a couple days of recovery time after that sewing marathon before I start my next project.  If nothing else, I've got to clean up the disaster that is my sewing area.  And my closet.  I totally posted these on FB and then realized you can see my dirty laundry pile in the background.  Not a shining moment on social media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow day sew day

 We were supposed to get rain and melt over the weekend.  We didn't, we got more snow with a splash of freezing rain.  Plans to go to the grocery store were replaced by a day spent in my office. I've been putting off some of the more tailored projects on my wish list since I find them intimidating.  I decided to bite the bullet and go for it with my first pencil skirt.  Completely non-stretchy so not the most forgiving project.  I've been practicing on easier projects with the hope that having the basics will give me a fighting chance.  I traced my pattern on tissue paper so the original was safe and then adjusted it to take 2 inches off the length.  Other than that I left it alone.  My dimensions for skirts are pretty normal, just short. And asymmetrical but it's small enough that most people don't notice one hip being higher than the other.  It's nowhere near the chaos of me doing a top with a size 6 shoulder, a size 12 DD bust, and a size 10ish waist.  And a

New blog, who 'dis?

 Why a vintage style blog?  Because if I'm going to spend this many hours trying to get my hair to do anything approaching 1950's waves, I'm going to write about it.   I started doing vintage style when a friend threw a party with a 1950s theme.  I didn't really know anything about the 1950s so I hit Google.  I didn't want to wear a costume with a cheap, satin skirt with a poodle on it.  As soon as I did a search for 1950s women's fashion, I saw this: The New Look.  Odd hat aside, that is one heck of a silhouette and a level of glamor that I'd never aspired to in my life.  I've always been a jeans and tee shirts kind of girl.  That picture, though, that convinced me that I wanted to wear a skirt.  A poofy skirt.  And no, I didn't look a thing like that for the party and I didn't even get a picture of myself but I was wearing a Pin Up Girl Couture dress, a petticoat, What Katie Did corslette, stockings, heels, and my hair was curled.  It was somet

Meet my hair

 When people say 'hair like silk', it's generally meant as a compliment.  As someone with hair like silk, it's a pain in the ass.  It slips through combs and bobby pins almost instantly.  It resists any change to it's shape such as, oh say, curling.  When you do get it to curl, it rebels and turns to frizz and poodle hair before snapping back to straight.  I've been working on convincing my hair to look glamorous and wavy for years.  No exaggeration, years. Keeping it  glamorous I went through all the iterations:  hot rollers, wet sets, curling iron, every product known to humankind that might help my hair hold a wave.  Some did nothing, some did too much, some left my hair a fried mess.  I followed tons of YouTube videos that all had the same general idea:  wet set for stubborn hair, brush out vigorously, magically have amazing vintage hair.  I tried that and had a lot of different disasters.  By trial and error, I found what works for my hair. 1.  Wet Set - R