Skip to main content

My new serger, aka WTF


 I caved and opened my new serger.  At least I waited until after my first paper was done so do I get half credit?  I'll take half credit when there are so few days left in class.

Folks, I was not ready for this.  What even is all of this?  I've never even used a serger before, I just wanted a faster and neater way to finish raw edges.  What is this thing?


There's four threads coming in.  There's two needles.  I really didn't expect that.  It shipped pre-threaded so I thought I would be able to just sit down and get a feel for it.  First thing that happens is it unthreds.  Well, okay, I'll just rethead that needle, no big deal.  Hm, not working now.  I'll check the quick start guide to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be.


10 steps to thread just one of those four threads?  And everything is so tiny that they include a set of tweezers.  I read that the order is important and since thread 3 has unthreaded and it tried to stitch without that thread, I need to rethread 1 and 2.  Ugggggh.  Fine, unthread everything and start rethreading the serger.  I spent an hour trying to get this thing to work.  Nope.  I narrowed it down to just the one thread going over the looper.  I could not figure out how to get it over the looper, not for love nor money.  I'm just dyslexic enough to make it almost impossible for me to follow a couple of photos trying to show a 3D action in 2D.  I stormed out of the sewing room to find some chardonnay.

Fortunately my husband found me and he has completely normal spatial awareness AND learned how to use a serger in high school.  He left me to my chardonnay and went to deal with my machine.  Sure enough, it was just the one looper that wasn't set right.  He got it running a treat in about 15 minutes and sent me back to try to learn my new machine.

Once it's running, it's really pretty straightforward.  Put fabric under foot.  Get your fingers the hell out of the way of the knife and both needles and the presser foot that is spring loaded.  Push on the foot pedal.  Get pretty finishes on your raw edges.


Yes, I finished my black lining fabric with white thread.  No way I was going to change colors after all of that.  Now that it's working I'm really quite delighted.  This wool blend is a loose weave and frays like crazy. With all of the edges overlocked I can handle the fabric without it falling apart.  It looks so fancy and professional!  

My sewing room is looking a bit cramped by very serious business with the new addition.

Edges are finished and the skirt is now coming together.  Should have it finished this weekend, assuming my final paper comes together quickly.  If there's one thing my MBA program has taught me it's how to throw a bunch of fancy words into a document in a hurry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snow day sew day

 We were supposed to get rain and melt over the weekend.  We didn't, we got more snow with a splash of freezing rain.  Plans to go to the grocery store were replaced by a day spent in my office. I've been putting off some of the more tailored projects on my wish list since I find them intimidating.  I decided to bite the bullet and go for it with my first pencil skirt.  Completely non-stretchy so not the most forgiving project.  I've been practicing on easier projects with the hope that having the basics will give me a fighting chance.  I traced my pattern on tissue paper so the original was safe and then adjusted it to take 2 inches off the length.  Other than that I left it alone.  My dimensions for skirts are pretty normal, just short. And asymmetrical but it's small enough that most people don't notice one hip being higher than the other.  It's nowhere near the chaos of me doing a top with a size 6 shoulder, a size 12 DD bust, and a size 10ish waist.  And a

New blog, who 'dis?

 Why a vintage style blog?  Because if I'm going to spend this many hours trying to get my hair to do anything approaching 1950's waves, I'm going to write about it.   I started doing vintage style when a friend threw a party with a 1950s theme.  I didn't really know anything about the 1950s so I hit Google.  I didn't want to wear a costume with a cheap, satin skirt with a poodle on it.  As soon as I did a search for 1950s women's fashion, I saw this: The New Look.  Odd hat aside, that is one heck of a silhouette and a level of glamor that I'd never aspired to in my life.  I've always been a jeans and tee shirts kind of girl.  That picture, though, that convinced me that I wanted to wear a skirt.  A poofy skirt.  And no, I didn't look a thing like that for the party and I didn't even get a picture of myself but I was wearing a Pin Up Girl Couture dress, a petticoat, What Katie Did corslette, stockings, heels, and my hair was curled.  It was somet

Meet my hair

 When people say 'hair like silk', it's generally meant as a compliment.  As someone with hair like silk, it's a pain in the ass.  It slips through combs and bobby pins almost instantly.  It resists any change to it's shape such as, oh say, curling.  When you do get it to curl, it rebels and turns to frizz and poodle hair before snapping back to straight.  I've been working on convincing my hair to look glamorous and wavy for years.  No exaggeration, years. Keeping it  glamorous I went through all the iterations:  hot rollers, wet sets, curling iron, every product known to humankind that might help my hair hold a wave.  Some did nothing, some did too much, some left my hair a fried mess.  I followed tons of YouTube videos that all had the same general idea:  wet set for stubborn hair, brush out vigorously, magically have amazing vintage hair.  I tried that and had a lot of different disasters.  By trial and error, I found what works for my hair. 1.  Wet Set - R